We know that parents have many questions about the upcoming school year. The purpose of this blog entry is to answer many of the questions you might have and to tell you about some upcoming school events.
- Chromebook Pickup for Colts Online Academy Students– We will have a chromebook pickup event for those students who have opted-in to our Colts Online Academy. To pickup a chromebook for your online student, please make sure you have completed the Back-to-School Portal, https://update.cloverleaflocal.org/login , (as it includes a technology agreement form), and then you may come to CES on Friday, August 28th from 8:30-5:00 in the CES cafeteria. Parents should come through the event doors on the Friendsville Road side of the building, walk to the cafeteria, and pickup the chromebook(s) from the CES staff who will make sure all of the paperwork is in order and provide you with a chromebook.
- Class Lists– Student class lists for grades 1-5 will be posted in three window locations at CES on Tuesday, September 1st at 3:00. All of the lists will be posted in the windows by the office, the windows by the event doors, and on the windows to the cafeteria from the playground. Having lists posted in three different locations will help parents be able to view the lists without feeling crowded. Kindergarten class lists will be posted on Wednesday, September 9th.
- Open House– It has been decided that there will not be a whole building Open House this year. Some teachers may decide to create introductory Google slides or videos that you can view at your convenience before school begins. We will share more information with you as soon as we have it.
- Kindergarten Screening– If you have an incoming kindergarten student, and you have not yet received a letter in the mail for a kindergarten screening date and time, please call the office (330-302-0102) and our secretaries will help you schedule a date and time for in-person kindergarten screening. The screening process is also when our kindergarten students will be able to see classrooms and gain some familiarity with the building.
- Pickup and Drop-off– Pickup and drop-off will look a little different this year. We are going to be using a new app called PikMyKid to help with parent pickup and drop-off, but all parent pickup and drop-off will continue to be in the same parking lot off of Buffham Road. We will have more information going out soon about the PikMyKid app. Please do not try to download and install the PikMyKid app until after we send you the registration information. Bus arrival and dismissal will be done differently this year to help with social distancing, and you may notice the buses running a few minutes later the first few days while we master this new process.
- First Days of School for Different Grade Levels– The first day of school for grades 1-5 will be Tuesday, September 8. The first day of school for kindergarten will be Friday, September 11. The first day of school for preschool will be Monday, September 14. Our school day for grades K-5 will continue to be 9:00-3:45.
- Changes to Building Policies and Procedures– To maintain the safety of our students and staff, to assist in maintaining the recommended social distancing, and to reduce logistical difficulties with any contact tracing, parents will not be able to enter the building this year beyond the front office. Unfortunately this means parents will not be able to walk their children to their classrooms or be able to eat lunch with their children at school.
Cloverleaf Local Schools has secured a limited number of cellular internet hot spots for families who have signed up for the Colts Online Academy but do not have reliable internet. Again, this is a very limited supply. If your child is enrolled in the Colts Online Academy, and you feel you need a hot spot for a more-stable internet connection, please email Deanna Lacko at email@example.com and explain your circumstances in the email. We are hoping to distribute hot spots at the same time as chromebooks for our Colts Online Academy students.
On August 5, 2020 Mrs. Martin and Mr. Moody presented the recommendations from the CES Scheduling Committee (a subcommittee of the Cloverleaf Task-Force) to the Board of Education. The zoom video from that presentation is available HERE, and the CES portion of the board meeting begins at 38:40. The slideshow used for that presentation can be seen in the zoom video, and it is also available as a google slide HERE. Please remember that many of the topics covered in the presentation are subject to change based upon student face-to-face enrollment numbers. We wanted to share this video with families as they try to finalize their decisions for this coming school year, and we realize that many families were not able to attend the school board meeting for the latest CES plan. We hope this helps.
During the uncertain times of a pandemic, deciding how children will be educated is a very personal and important decision to be made by families. Cloverleaf has created the Colts Online Learning Academy as an additional option for parents to consider for the upcoming school year. Parents are asked to finalize their decisions by the August 10th deadline. To learn more information about the CES-Colts Online Academy, please click HERE. To complete the Colts Online Learning Academy Opt-In Form, please click HERE.
5th Grade Parents and Students,
Mr. Madigan, Mr. Wilson, and the 6th Grade students and staff made two videos to welcome next year’s 6th Graders and share some advice. Please take a minute to share the videos with your 5th Grade children.
Video #1 Welcome Video
Video #2 Advice Video (Below)
The attached letter explains the procedures for picking up the final student materials (coats, headphones, yearbooks, etc.) and belongings and turning in text books, library books, and other items.
End of Year Pick up 2020 Letter to parents
Parents, the following letter will also be shared in your child’s google classroom. Additional details about pickup of final materials and how to return chromebooks and other materials will be provided soon.
“Good Morning, Parents!
Cloverleaf has been evaluating options for how to most efficiently end this school year. We have decided the last day of instruction for the 2019-20 school year will be May 22. Completing instruction on this date will allow the district time to collect Chromebooks, textbooks and library books, as well as allow students to pick up personal items. Please watch for details from your child’s school.
The unusual nature of these past few months has created unprecedented challenges. We will continue to serve our parents, students and community the very best we can, regardless of the learning environment.You have been very supportive of our entire staff during this difficult time. Thank you! Please enjoy this upcoming summer season with your family and loved ones. Stay safe!
Bob Hevener, Curriculum Director”
We are asking parents to complete a Google Form to tell us how we have been doing during remote instruction. Please click the survey link below to give us valuable feedback we can use for future planning and reflection. This is the same form posted by teachers in their Google Classrooms. You do not need to complete the form in both locations. Thank you.
Please click here to view the parent letter explaing how grades will be determined for the third trimester in all grade levels. This letter will also be posted in our Google Classrooms.
5th Grade Parents,
Mr. Fudale, Mr. Winter, & Mrs. Leonard, our middle school band and music teachers, have asked that I share two links with you. One link is for a google slides presentation explaining the choir and band selection process, and the other link is for the actual google form. Every 5th grade student will need to choose band or choir for their 6th grade year. Please take a moment to review the slideshow with your child and then complete the google form. Our 5th grade students typically get a chance to see the different instrument choices and learn more about their band options in the spring, but we were unable to do that this year due to the closing or school buildings.
Band and Choir Choice Form